Friday, May 6, 2011

Nursery Complete!

I had been itching so badly to find out the genders of our twins so that I could start on the nursery design.  I had a lot of ideas if the twins were boys...and not so many if they were girls.  That's really sad, I know.  But I just had no inspiration because I didn't want pink or princesses, and it's kinda hard to avoid those things.  As soon as we found out we were having 2 boys, I was pumped to get started on their room.  Our first ideas were a jungle theme or a forest/woodland theme.  We were about to go with the forest theme when we had the idea to base the nursery off of one of the best children's books ever written (in our opinion, at least).  It was Jeremy's favorite book growing up, and although I had never heard of it until I met him, it quickly became my favorite also.  The book is The Giving Tree.  It's a beautiful little story about a tree and a little boy and eternal love without return.  If you've never read it, you totally should.  First we started with a mural on the wall...

    
We took a few pictures from the book



And combined them into one big wall mural, painted by yours truly.  We decided to accessorize the room with apple and tree type stuff.  I searched for a lamp that had a tree base to it, but could not find one that wasn't super fancy or cost less than $300.  Ridiculous.  So what did I do?  I made my own instead.  I found a cheapo lamp base at goodwill (it works!), found a lamp shade from Etsy, and then added my own decorations to the base.

Here is the result:



Next I tried to find a clock with apples or trees on it...also had no such luck, so again I made my own. 


 The J & F will be decorated and hung above the crib.  Here are some other things I painted to go on the walls.




We found some little apple knobs to go on the dresser.  The other knobs are going to be little green leaves, but we have yet to put them on because we need to get some washers.




The nursery work came to a little halt after we were done with the wall mural and after I had trouble finding the stuff I wanted.  It took me a while to decide how I wanted to make the things that I made, but I'm happy with how they all came out, and I'm pumped that the nursery is almost completely finished!  The rocking chair will go in the corner, and the bedding and curtains are yet to come.  The bedding will be made by my grandma out of a really cute light blue/green/brown apple patterned fabric.  It's super cute and I would show you a picture, but I bought the remaining fabric from the online store, and they no longer sell it/took it off their website.  The curtains will be made by Jeremy's mom and myself, and the fabric for that is yet to be found.



Yay!  

Corner shelves.





Home-sewn curtains by Jeremy's mom and I.







Crib sheet set home-sewn by my grandma.



Crib is all ready for our babies!




No comments:

Post a Comment