Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Rants & Where I've Been.


So probably nobody has really noticed or even really cares, but I've been gone for a while.  Not gone as in  away from home gone, but gone in the sense of away from Facebook/blogging.  I haven't blogged anything in over a month, and have hardly checked Facebook except for maybe once a day or a few times a week.  I used to be on the computer a lot.  I would spend almost every free minute I had writing blog posts, reading other blogs or perusing Facebook.  I haven't been doing much of any of those things lately.  I've decided that I don't like how much of my time was spent on the computer, and so I've cut back.  And it's been pretty awesome.  I've been reading a lot more.  I've been spending time just talking with Jeremy after the boys go to bed.  I've been working more on the boys' quiet book.  I've just been enjoying actually playing with the boys instead of just watching over them and making sure they're safe.  It feels good to let go of the "duties" that I had placed on myself regarding blogging and Facebook.  I used to feel like I needed to post X amount of blog posts per week, or had to upload all these photos off of my camera and put them on Facebook for friends to see, or just had to check Facebook to see what my friends were up to.  But I'm done with the necessity of those things.  I'll blog when I want to, and I'll check FB/put up pictures when I feel like it.  

Have you heard my soapbox on smartphones?  I'm sure I've rambled about it before, but here I go again.  Neither Jeremy or I have any sort of smartphone.  Neither do either of our families.  We have no desire to have smartphones.  I feel like if I had a smartphone, my time would be spent on it more than it would elsewhere.  Sure there are plenty of times when a smartphone would be helpful and useful to me (say when I get lost...cause we all know I'm terrible with directions), but I can totally live my life without one.  And I think that almost everyone that has one would also claim that.  There are places and things that have once been easy to do without a smartphone, but that have recently been proven more difficult.  This makes me very angry a lot of times.  I saw a cartoon once that was 2 photos of children playing on a playground...one was captioned "this is how kids played in the 90's" and had children playing on  swings and slides, etc., and the next photo was captioned "this is how kids play today", with the photo being of kids sitting around at a park all on their phones.  I know that this is a stereotype and not every family is like this, but it is more true than it used to be.  I don't like that it sometimes seems that phones have replaced face-to-face conversations and personal interactions.
 I would rather my life be not so tech-centered, and if I really don't need something like that, I would rather not have the temptation of that convenience.  

Ok smartphone rant over.     

We are about to make some big changes in the next couple years for our little family, and I've really just been putting more thoughts and effort into what that is all going to look like and what things need to be done to prepare.  I know I'm being vague, and if you're close with me you probably already know what I'm talking about, but for those of you who don't know, I'll expand more on this exciting news very soon.  This all being said, we're probably going to have to learn to live in a not very technology-centered way, so the more we can learn to live without now, and the better we can teach our boys to live this way, the better we will be in the long run.

So what is the point of this post?  There isn't a huge one.  It's just to say that I may not be here as often as I used to be.  

No comments:

Post a Comment