Thursday, March 15, 2012

Homemade Baby Food


I had always planned on making my children's baby food.  Not only is it cheaper to make it at home, but I think it tastes better, and although I haven't done much research on it, I'm sure they get a few more nutrients out of the homemade stuff.  There are lots of babyhood-making machines out there, and I had originally planned on getting one, but instead Jeremy and I decided to get a food mill instead.  That way, we could also use it for things such as extra creamy mashed potatoes, instead of it just being a single-use appliance.  I imagine that a blender or food processor would do the job just fine also.  At one of my baby showers, I was given a gift of baby food freezer trays.  It is a set of little 2-oz cups that are freezable, microwaveable and dishwasher safe.  I was so excited to get these out and start using them!   

These are my favorite first-bite photos!

So here's my method:
Chop up whatever veggies and fruits you plan to use.  You can either steam or roast them. I chose steam, since it's typically the best way to retain vitamins and minerals.  Puree with preferred appliance.  Store in freezable containers.  Ice trays (with lids) also work well for freezing in little portions! 

I love thinking up different varieties and combinations to put together.  Here are a few that have been favorites with the boys:

I alos have made a Pumpkin Pie (no sugar), Ginger Apples + Carrots, Pear+Blueberry+Spinach, Bananas, Avocados,  and a few others that I can't remember right now. 

There are lots more that I want to try, such as Butternut squash+Nutmeg, Sweet Potato+Broccoli, and Cauliflower+Potatoes.

Anyone else make their own baby food?  Have any favorite flavors or ideas?




Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

2 comments:

  1. I don't make it yet since Daisy's only 3 months, but I got the Brezza at my shower and I can't wait to start using it! Not only is it cheaper and tastier, I know exactly what's going into my baby's mouth...and I can pronounce every ingredient! :) Except for Edamame. I had to youtube that one to find out how to pronounce it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did, using a food processor, and Leyla's favorite combination was apples + carrots + cinnamon. Someone fed her the combo and she liked it so I started making it for her at home. She really liked pears and mangoes, too.

    ReplyDelete